Category Archives: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MILWAUKEE 100 THOUSAND POETS FOR CHANGE POETRY WALK/READING FOR JUSTICE & COMMUNITY ACTION! 6:30pm-10pm! From Holton Street to Woodland Pattern! All people are invited to join us for a Poetry Walk/Reading for Justice & Community Action this Saturday as … Continue reading
Reading Schedule: Gathering spot: Brady and Van Buren end of Marsupial Bridge – (1 slot still open) * Phyllis Wax * Peter Blewett Walking along the Marsupial Bridge and east to the stairwell – (1 slot still open) … Continue reading
Dear Milwaukee community poets,
You are receiving this invitation to participate in Milwaukee’s 100 Thousand Poets for Change event on Saturday, September 24, 2011!
For Milwaukee, we have envisioned a Poetry Walk/Reading for Justice & Community Action. Poets will gather at 6:30 p.m. at the south end of the Holton Street Viaduct Marsupial Bridge (stairs at Van Buren Avenue and Brady Street near Trocadero) and will begin marching at 7:00 p.m. first over the footbridge to the Joshua Glover Memorial Plaque at Booth and Glover Streets, then northeast through Kilbourn Park, north on Bremen St. to Locust St., and west on Locust St. to Woodland Pattern Book Center (720 E. Locust).
We invite Milwaukee poets to sign up for slots to read their poems all along the route, and we will continue the celebration with more readings and the collective writing of a community renga at Woodland Pattern <http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/5788>.
Our goal is to showcase the diverse stories, voices and strategies of our communities in Milwaukee and to continue to build together and dream up the type of street, neighborhood, city, state and world that we want to live in.
Because we are trying to include as many voices and perspectives as possible, we’re asking each poet to share a maximum of one poem, 3 minutes long.
If you would like to sign up, please take a look at the schedule of available slots below (we will try to keep the schedule as updated as possible as Milwaukee poets sign up). Please e-mail Ching-In Chen at chinginchen [at] gmail.com with the Subject Heading: MKE 100,000 Poet for Change sign-up with the following info:
- Your name (as you would like it to be known by/referred to as well as how to pronounce it)
- which top 3 slots you would prefer, by order of preference – we will do our best to accommodate requests
- what neighborhoods and communities in Milwaukee you are connected to?
- Your contact info/best way to get ahold of you (phone # on day of, e-mail if not the one you’re e-mailing from)
The reading schedule is:
- gathering spot: Brady and Van Buren end of Marsupial Bridge – 3 slots
- walking along the Marsupial Bridge and east to the stairwell – 3 slots
- Joshua Glover Memorial Plaque at the top of the stairs (Glover and Booth) – 3 slots
- walking through Kilbourn Park and north on Bremen St. to Locust St – 13 slots
- walking east on Locust Street to Woodland Pattern – 2 slots
- inside Woodland Pattern Book Center – 18 slots
- sharing of community renga! – everyone:-)
Thank you for your help and your work! If you have any questions or access needs, please contact Ching-In Chen (chinginchen at gmail.com) with the subject heading: MKE 100,000 Poets for Change.
ORGANIZER: Ching-In Chen CONTACT: chinginchen [at] gmail.com. Share this!Tweet